American Century Investments – a mutual fund company – compiled results from a survey in February, 2013 among 1054 full time employed individuals between the ages of 55 & 65 who are currently participating in their employee sponsored retirement plan.
Key Findings Were:
- Pre-retirees have serious regrets about their efforts to prepare for retirement, and their feelings about how much they didn’t save are the strongest.
- Redefining affordability is critical as people need help making better spending choices to find ways to save.
- Plan sponsor decisions around design features and available services are influential and can help people save successfully.
- 82% AGREE– “I wish I could talk to the younger me and tell myself to save more than I did.”
- 76% AGREE – “When I was young, I underestimated how much I should be saving for retirement.”
- 57% AGREE – “Not saving enough was one of the biggest mistakes I made in life.”
For more complete information on the survey, or other questions about 401(k) participation or retirement planning, contact us or call our office 717-761-2655.